- The Eastern Tobacco Company must be treated like any other tobacco business as indicated in Article 5.3.
- Since tobacco-related CSR activities are a form of sponsorship and Article 5.3 recommends these activities to be denormalized, government officials must not endorse these activities.
- The government must terminate all MOUs with the tobacco industry and ratify the Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products to address the smuggling problem more efficiently.
- Any interaction with the tobacco industry must be limited to only when strictly necessary and conducted in a transparent manner.
- The government must formulate and adopt a code of conduct to guide officials in their interactions with the tobacco industry. The government must implement a program to raise awareness on Article 5.3 among government officials, particularly in the non-health agencies such as the Customs Authority.
Learn more about tobacco industry interference in this country.Download Fact Sheet