Indicators of Influence
These seven key indicators highlight interference from the tobacco industry in Ethiopia.
Industry participation in policy development
9 / 20
Tobacco industry-related CSR activities
3 / 20
Benefits given to the tobacco industry
7 / 20
Unnecessary interaction with the tobacco industry
10 / 20
Procedure for transparency measures
4 / 20
Avoiding conflicts of interest
4 / 20
12 / 30
These are ways Ethiopia can deter interference from the tobacco industry:
- There should be a sustained awareness program on FCTC Article 5.3 across all agencies involved in tobacco control and regulation.
- Develop a code of conduct for government officials to provide guidance when interacting with the tobacco industry.
- Ensure transparency by recording all interactions with the tobacco industry which should be only when strictly necessary.
- The NTE privatization agreement should recognize FCTC Article 5.3 and take steps to address tobacco industry interfere in public health policy and not be in conflict with both Proclamations 1112/2019 and 1186/2020.
- A repository containing information about the tobacco industry should be established and be readily accessed by the public.
Learn more about tobacco industry interference in this country.Download Fact Sheet