A Multi-Front, Global Approach to Tobacco Control
STOP is dedicated to rigorously exposing the tobacco industry’s efforts to derail tobacco control and hook a new generation of users. We work around the world, with a special focus on low-and middle-income countries where the industry is aggressively targeting communities and where the biggest populations are at risk for tobacco-related disease burden.
STOP partners bring decades of experience from the public, private and non-governmental sectors. We are researchers, investigative journalists, epidemiologists, former civil servants, advocates, storytellers and more. Our interdisciplinary skill set strengthens our capabilities in industry monitoring, research, policy, advocacy and strategic communication.
STOP’s primary work is to understand and expose tobacco industry behavior, and to arm and support stakeholders with evidence and tools to counter the industry.
We do this by:
- Providing a platform for advocates, policy makers and journalists to access the latest information on the tobacco industry – including exposés on abuses and tactics, analyses on industry behavior and new tools to fight industry interference
- Collecting data and investing in comprehensive research
- Responding to requests for help through our rapid response service
- Exposing and challenging the industry’s dishonest strategies by engaging with local and international media
- Collaborating across the tobacco control network and other sectors to ensure a comprehensive approach to countering industry tactics